Three of Us

Three of Us

Saturday, May 15, 2010

No Life Like It!

"If the military had wanted you to have a spouse, they would have issued you one." Anonymous

I thought this quote was fitting for us. None of us had to sign a piece of paper promising to serve this wonderful country of ours. However, we did sign a government piece of paper legally binding us to our men in uniform, better known as a "Marriage License." We support our husbands, make sacrifices, pack and unpack, learn ALL of the military acronyms and fight for a better tomorrow for our future children. We do this not because of an order, but because we love our men in uniform; for better or worse. I am pretty sure our "civilian" spouses look forward to building their family's roots somewhere. We know that we must carry our roots with us. We know that knowledge of nailing something in the wall is temporary. Last week my garbage disposal plugged up, the washing machine wouldn't complete the spin cycle and the bathroom shower head leaked into the basement. HA! I have learned to be the "man of the house" as I am sure you also have had to do. I am not saying we are better then civilian spouses, but our country asks more of us. We do what we have to do, bound together by the love of our husband and our friendship with other military spouses.

Life is funny, especially for officer wives. Some of us have been with our guys for a long time... before Army life even existed in our heads. They graduated college, had a job for awhile, then they tell you "Honey, I'm enlisting tomorrow!" (Well maybe not quite so quickly, but still FAST!) Sometimes life appears to be all about them. People will begin conversation with not how are you, but, "How is your husband?" and "Where is he at?" and "Is it hard being away?" Sometimes it takes a lot to control those million questions. I know this is part of the "spouses" job and I gracefully answer their questions...even if I think it's prying sometimes.

I realize our lives as military spouses are tough. I truly believe no one understands this life better then this group of women. I feel a connection and I am blessed.

Hellen Keller said, "What we have once enjoyed, we can never lose. ALl that we love deeply becomes a part of us."

Love to you all,
Red Leg (FA Wife)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post! The questions people ask us are almost mind-numbing because they are asked so frequently. People automatically assume we are "struggling," or "depressed" because our Soldier is in the Army. I struggle with how mindless and insensitive people are with their questions. Instead, I'd rather here, "Hey, How are you doing? That's SO awesome that your husband is serving our country. Thank him for us, and THank YOU for supporting and Loving him!" Wouldn't that be easier to hear every day? Serving our country is something to be proud of, even though it IS scary at times... But I feel so much pride toward this lifestyle! It's made me a much stronger person!

    ReplyDelete

Your contribution to our Strong Spouses...Army Strong blog means so much! We look forward to reading what you have to say :)